A rocky start to the week for the USC football program continued Tuesday with three more players opting out of the program following the dismissal of head coach Will Muschamp Sunday. Cornerback Israel Mukuamu posted on Twitter his decision while interim-coach Mike Bobo announced at his press conference that safety RJ Roderick and freshman defensive tackle Makius Scott also had opted out. Fortunately for Bobo, Tuesday was the first day he could get back on the field with the team and focus on football, and that brought a sense of normalcy back to the program. Bobo met with the media via Zoom Tuesday to discuss the transition in the program and preparation for Saturday’s game with Missouri. Also meeting with the media was former Gamecock quarterback Connor Shaw who is now coaching the quarterbacks.
Some of Bobo’s key comments:
- Talked with team about it being about “us”. It’s a team game, not an individual game.
- Missouri will commit to stopping the run. They’ll play man to man coverage outside, they’ll play some games inside.
- Missouri will be a big challenge for them, Mizzou hasn’t played in a couple of weeks so they are rested and healthy.
- The ability to opt out has given players all over the country that option to step away if they choose. He thinks the four who have done so should be it, for now, but you never know.
- When you opt out, the university rule is you are no longer allowed to be around the team, so they can’t be on the sideline for games.
- Zaquandre White has been moved from running back to safety to help in secondary. Jordan Rhodes has been moved from OL to DL.
- Need to play better around the quarterback, they’ve only made one contested catch this season, the one Shi Smith made against Auburn. Thinks Collin Hill has played well.
- Today’s practice wasn’t good enough to beat Missouri. They’ve got to have a better practice tomorrow.
- Need more help at outside receiver. Legette has been banged up and didn’t practice today.
- Sterling and Johnson are out for the rest of the season.
- He’s been proud of Shi Smith since he got there, how he’s competed, how he’s been a good team player when ball isn’t going to him, message to team today was it isn’t about the individual, it’s about the team.
- Joe Cox has taken over a huge role th the offense, they’ve been together a long time, has seen the offense evolve. Other offensive staff guys have been great.
- They have been in touch with all the commitments and told them their scholarships will be honored if they want to still sign with USC on December 16th.
- Mike Bobo press conference
Connor Shaw press conference