The morning after the firing of Will Muschamp as USC’s head football coach had all involved with the program still processing the news. There was no practice Sunday, and there is no practice Monday. Mike Bobo is now in charge of the program and will continue calling plays as the offensive coordinator. His task is to rally the troops and get everyone focused on Saturday’s game with Missouri. The coaching search is being led by athletics director Ray Tanner who will answer to the university president Bob Caslen. There is no formal search committee. Tanner hopes to have a coach in place prior to the December 16th early signing period.
Some key comments from Tanner:
- Next head coach will inherit a good culture inside the program. Said it was a difficult conversation yesterday when they met after 6:00 PM Sunday.
- Yesterday was a difficult day but there are plenty of bright spots in the program, but came up short when it came to winning enough games. Had a great respect for what Muschamp did.
- Won’t get into specifics about the buyout, it’s an annualized agreement that can be adjusted he said, and “definitely that will be the case.”
- Decision was made Sunday after he spoke with university president Caslen, decision to make change now was due to upcoming dates on the NCAA calendar like early signing period and possibility of one time transfer waiver.
- Bobo, as interim head coach, would have a chance to show what he can do as a head coach candidate.
- Maybe look more for an offensive minded coach, but wants to get the right person with enthusiasm and create fun in the program, and winning creates fun.
- He’s not yet hired a search firm, there have been conversations.
- He will be leading the search but will report to Caslen, there will not be a formal committee.
- Would hope with the Muschamp buyout and with the reduction in revenues this year, they would not have to limit what they can offer financially to the next coach.
- No candidates ruled out, has a long list of candidates they are starting to work down, candidates who have had NCAA or off the field issues will be vetted.
- Interviewing minority candidates will be very important part of the process.
Ray Tanner press conference
Mike Bobo press conference
QB Collin Hill
FB Adam Prentice
DT Jabari Ellis