USC hit the halfway point of the season with a 2-3 mark, not where head coach Will Muschamp expected to be at this point. The Gamecocks were off last weekend, so they had last week to work on the things that have been ailing them. Those would include stopping the run, protecting the passer and developing more threats in the passing game. Muschamp hopes all the work last week and this week will be seen this Saturday night when the Gamecocks play host to 7th ranked Texas A&M. The Aggies are the only SEC team the Gamecocks have never defeated. The Aggies are favored by 7.5 points to make it seven in a row over the Gamecocks. Tuesday Muschamp held a Zoom press conference with the media to preview the game.
Some of Muschamp’s key comments:
- Lot of respect for Jimbo Fisher, four returning starters on OL, Mond is a four year starter at QB, very efficient, Spiller has come on as a RB, they use Smith in many ways, TE is a really good player.
- Good rushers on the edge, big inside, linebackers are good, safeties are active, good specialists. Looking forward to getting back on the field, disappointed in their last outing.
- Hill remains the starting quarterback, Hilinski and Doty got a lot of reps during off week, they feel Hill gives them the best opportunity to win.
- Mond presents a lot of issues as a runner and a thrower, their team believes a lot in him and have a lot of confidence in him.
- Doty continues to improve, they are asking him to do some different things from the other two and he’s continued to do a nice job in that package.
- Real pleased with the progress of Mullins at tight end, he can stretch the field.
- They’ve got to play the run better, get off blocks, they’ve addressed that in practice during the off week.
- Did a lot of good on good work during the off week, have to do a better job protecting the quarterback.
- Muschamp: Freshman DE Jordan Burch has come a long way from game one, the light has gone for him, he can do a lot of positive things for them.
- Worked a lot of young players toward the end of practices during off week. Powers, Amos, Bell, Wannamaker, Kaba, Huntley are some who are coming on. Expects Huntley to play this week.
- Very unusual to see a player (Mond) as a fourth year starter, his toughness stands out, they hit him a good bit last season and he kept getting up, has a lot of respect for him
- Continue to have an emphasis on running the football, have to continue to improve there.
Will Muschamp previews Texas A&M