A USC team filled with confidence and momentum hits the road this weekend for a trip to Baton Rouge and a meeting with the defending national champion LSU Tigers at 7:00 PM on ESPN. The Gamecocks are coming off wins over Vanderbilt and 14th ranked Auburn to even their record at 2-2 after losses to Tennessee and Florida. The Tigers were off last weekend after their game with Florida was postponed due to Covid issues with the Gators. They are a far cry from last year’s team that beat Clemson for the national title with only a win at Vanderbilt to show against losses to Mississippi State and Missouri. LSU is a seven point favorite to beat the Gamecocks for the seventh straight time in the series. The Gamecocks have two wins and a tie in the 21 meetings. Tuesday Gamecock coach Will Muschamp previewed the game with the media.
Some key comments from Muschamp
- LSU makes you defend the entire field, lots of talented player on offense, two good corners on defense, big inside and hard to move up front, good speed on special teams.
- LSU back up QBs, both freshmen, are two guys they are familiar with it, they’ve looked at all their high school film, just have to be prepared for all possibilities.
- Bobo is always going to be a play-caller who will stick with the run, always willing to run the ball on third down, do the things they have to do to stay on the field.
- His senior leadership group has been the best since he’s been at USC, he and his staff have had to do less with getting messages out to the team, feels team is as dialed in now as it was when 0-2
- Sees a team that’s improved in all phases from game one to game four. This team continues to improve and practice the right way, that wasn’t the case all the time last season.
- Feels like over the last four weeks they haven’t had any bad preparation, hasn’t walked off the practice field feeling like they didn’t get their work done that day.
- They had much better coverage in the secondary against Auburn, did a much better job of getting the ball off receivers.
- Freshman WR Ger-Cari Caldwell is going to get more work this week.
- Mukuamu practiced today and is hoping to get Cam Smith back in practice Wednesday.
- LSU is a great place for a college football game, it will be different with only about 20,000 fans, but it will be a passionate crowd, still has connections to people at LSU from his time there.
Will Muschamp previews LSU