USC broke thru for its first win of the season Saturday dominating a Vanderbilt team depleted by Covid-19 issues and injuries. The Commodores played with just 56 scholarship players and were no match for the Gamecocks who got 171 rushing yards from Kevin Harris and stout defensive play that yielded just 249 yards. The Gamecocks will try to even their record at home this Saturday against Auburn. Sunday night Gamecock coach Will Muschamp reviewed Saturday’s win in a conference call with media.
Some of Muschamp’s key comments:
- Thought they had really good execution offensively, cleanest game they have played, made good adjustments in the run game, Keven Harris played very well, running thru contact. He was offensive player of the day. OL of the day was Hutcherson.
- Good explosives in the game on offense. Defense was really good in red zone but disappointed how they played the run, got to get off blocks. Ernest Jones was the defensive player of the day.
- Vandy doubled Shi Smith quite a bit so Hill looked at other options in that case. Thought Legette did some nice things and continues to come on, Vann played well
- Thought Turnetine played well when he was in there, still searching for starting right tackle, Moore and Lee still involved, could move Wonnum over there and Turnetine back to left.
- Addressed the couple of skirmishes some of his players were engaged in during the game both at halftime and again today, they won’t tolerate that, especially in cases when it hurts the team.
Will Muschamp conference call