It’s finally game week for USC after a prolonged pre-season camp and Tuesday head coach Will Muschamp could not hold back his excitement about his fifth season opener with the Gamecocks. Speaking to media via a Zoom call, Muschamp was unusually chipper in talking about finally getting to play a game two weeks behind schedule. The Gamecocks are three point underdogs against Tennessee for the 7:30 PM kickoff at Williams-Brice Stadium. USC reports over 1700 of the available tickets remain for the game.
Muschamp had a couple of key personnel notes in his opening comments. Transfer wide receiver Jalen Brooks was denied immediate eligibility by the NCAA, and USC will appeal. And veteran reserve quarterback Jay Urich will have surgery Wednesday for a chronic shoulder injury and will retire from football. He plans to graduate and then join the program as a graduate assistant coach working with Connor Shaw.
Other key notes from Muschamp Tuesday:
- LB/SAF Jahmar Brown is questionable, DT Alex Huntley has a sprained ankle and is out this week.
- It’s Collin Hill’s game as the starting quarterback, he’ll be in there as long as he plays well.
- DB Jaylan Foster, a transfer from Gardner-Webb, was put on scholarship and he said he will help the team on defense and special teams.
- Thinks they’ve made strides at wide receiver in camp, Shi Smith has looked very good. Joyner has improved every day. Powers has done some nice things as has Caldwell. Doty will figure in even more with Brooks not eligible.
- In comparing Bobo to Steve Spurrier as play-caller, both are aggressive, both take their shots down the field, but also try to be balanced offensively, working in the running game.
- Damani Staley benefited from the extra work at MLB while Ernest Jones was out and feels good about what he can do. Expects Rosendo Louis to be back next week.
- RB Zaquandre White, who has been dealing with a hamstring, looked good in practice today, brings a lot of juice to the position. Probably won’t name starting running back until gameday.
USC Depth Chart for Tennessee
Will Muschamp Tuesday press conference
QB Collin Hill
CB Jaycee Horn
TE Nick Muse
WR Shi Smith