Clemson passed its first test of the season last Saturday night with a relatively easy win at Wake Forest. The Tigers play their home opener this Saturday afternoon, and it will have to serve as their state championship game. With USC not on the regular season schedule, The Citadel will be Clemson’s only in-state opponent in 2020. The Tigers have won 17 straight in the series and 32 of the 38 overall meetings. They last played in 2017 with Clemson winning 21-3. But, last year the Bulldogs won at Georgia Tech, and they beat USC in Columbia in 2015. So, Swinney said Tuesday at his weekly press conference, his guys have to approach this game just like any other, with a focus and attention to detail.
Other key notes from Swinney’s press conference:
- Against Wake Forest, got to play a lot of guys, got to continue to grow depth, this week allows them to get into a true rhythm of the season with so many young players, that’s important. Got a lot of work to do in every area.
- Knows they will get everybody’s best so they have to prepare and play to their own standard, nothing else matters regarding what’s coming next. His guys have embraced that.
- Excited for a home game, only have six at home this season, different challenge with the option of The Citadel and they take a lot of pride in what they do. Aggressive with their passing game.
- Corners and safeties have to do a good job with their eyes, guys can’t get bored doing their jobs, Bulldogs with 9 starters back on defense. But it’s more about them and how they can improve.
- Liked how the team responded in practice yesterday, some guys who played well at Wake need to build on that, those who didn’t play as well need to improve
- DT Tyler Davis has a sprain MCL, Dixon could have played last week. Orhorhoro will have a scope today and they’ll know after that what his situation is.
- Kendrick and Goodrich will be available for Saturday, Foster remains out.
- Once they got into camp, none of the players or coaches felt they wouldn’t have a season. And the approach has been to take each day one at a time because things could change daily.
Dabo Swinney press conference previewing The Citadel