The USC football team will hold its second major scrimmage of fall camp Saturday night, and Sunday night head coach Will Muschamp will hold a Zoom session with the media to recap the day. As a preview of the scrimmage, and as a way of bringing everyone up to speed on camp at the halfway point, offensive coordinator Mike Bobo and defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson held Zoom sessions with the media Friday afternoon. Both cited areas of progress within each respective group, but also cited areas of concern with three weeks to go before the opening game.
Some key comments from Bobo:
- Thinks it’s always good to have a number one quarterback named before opening game, get thru Saturday’s scrimmage and discuss things, if ready will announce something, if not, go another week.
- Collection of guys in the QB has great integrity, Connor Shaw often sits in the quarterback meetings, it’s good they are getting to know each other and sharing their experiences.
- Said in the scrimmage tomorrow night looking for a quarterback that moves the team up and down the field and protects the ball and is consistent.
- Said Hill is just playing ball, is not hesitant about injuring his knee after three ACL injuries, said he’s not worried about getting hurt.
- They focused more on the run game this week, they need more consistency, they were challenged after last week’s scrimmage, Kevin Harris has been consistent, Rashad Amos has talent but needs to grow up; all three backs will play; Fenwick has shown promise.
- White has been down with an injury, Muschamp said last night it was a hamstring, not sure when they’ll get him back.
- On receivers, bluntly said if you’re not dependable, you’re not going to play.
- Always believed it was good to huddle because it allows the QB to deliver a direct message as a coach on the field; no huddle is effective, it stresses the defense, but he feels football has gone fundamentally down hill because it’s being played too fast.
- They are going to go fast and try and get the “cheap yards” and catch the defense off guard, but he plans on using a huddle.
- Has seen flashes from Shi Smith, he’s been bothered with some injuries that have kept him out of practice from time to time, has practiced the last three days, he needs to become more consistent.
- They have to be balanced on offense, have a run game, and stretch the field vertically, put pressure on the defense, figure out ways to do that.
Some key comments from Robinson:
- Said Jahmar Brown has done a good job playing safety and linebacker, has been dealing with some injuries but will be fine.
- Likes where they are with their defensive front, Rocker has done a good job with them; he’s excited with the development of the players at defensive end; tells all the players to be ready because with Covid you never know when you’re going to be called upon.
- Ernest Jones should be back soon from his injury and will join Damani Staley and Sherrod Greene in battling for the starting jobs at linebacker.
- They’ve got to do a better job of forcing fumbles, second man in on the tackle trying to punch it out, hopes to see some of that in the scrimmage Saturday night.
- Said Bobo’s offense reminds him of a New England Patriots look, lots of personnel looks, and does a great job working with quarterbacks.
- Enagbare is clear #1 at Buck, has really stepped his game up and has looked great in practice.