Fall camp rolls on at Clemson, and Saturday morning the Tigers were inside Death Valley for their first major scrimmage. Coach Dabo Swinney said there were many things to like about the scrimmage, from the play of his quarterbacks and first team offense, to the performance of the second team defense. In particular, Swinney said receiver Cornell Powell really stood out with three touchdowns. He called him the best player on the field. He also said quarterback Trevor Lawrence had a very good day and rushed for two scores.
Post-scrimmage notes from Swinney:
- Very happy with the kicking game. Fred Davis and Joseph Charleston had interceptions. Cornell Powell had a tremendous day. Etienne was held out today, Ladson and Rodgers also, Ngata out due to acclimation.
- Ajou Ajou injured a hamstring prior to the scrimmage and did not participate.
- First t team offensive line will have to play a lot more snaps this season because they are so young behind the starters. Feels very good about the first group on the offensive line, says it’s as good as they have had.
- Thought Cornell Powell was the best player on the field today, had three touchdowns. Powell has played all three receiver positions for them in camp and has done well at each. Spector also had a good day at receiver.
- The backup quarterbacks all did well today, said they probably have the best quarterback room in the country. He said Lawrence was outstanding, scored two touchdowns rushing.
- Running backs behind Etienne, including the freshmen, have looked very good, said Mellusi has been looking very good, took a helmet off the shoulder in practice the other day and that slowed him some.
- OL Tayquan Johnson has been out with a migraine, Blake Vinson remains out.
- Young defensive linemen are exactly as advertised, Bresee might be better than advertised. Also high on Tre’ Williams and Damonte Capehart.