USC football coach Will Muschamp made his first public comments to the media Monday morning since the suspension of all school and sports activities due to the current pandemic. Muschamp said he was reluctant to talk football the last three weeks out of respect for he more important worldwide issues, but after other coaches came out thru the media, and with some encouragement from close friends, he decided to hold a media session.
Some of the key notes from Muschamp’s conference call:
- He and his staff are preparing as if there will be a season. Said they will need 8 weeks to be ready for a season.
- They are doing various parts of the spring installments during the 4 hours per week they are allowed to meet with the players by the SEC. Connor Shaw is meeting with the players once a week via Zoom focusing on mental health.
- They had one player who was tested for the virus and he was negative. 8-10 players are on campus due to rehabbing injuries. They were cleared to do that by the University.
- Focusing on the film and having a lot of meetings about recruits since they can’t recruit in person at this point.
- Getting 5 spring practices in before the stoppage was very beneficial, especially with Bobo being new as the OC.
- “I feel very good about where we are.” Asked to evaluate where he feels the program is going into year 5.
- Bobo feels very good about the QB room, the OL is the best he’s had since he’s been at USC. More powerful inside than they’ve been.
- Likes his RBs. Needs to continue to improve at TE. Need some help for Shi Smith at WR.
- Feels good about what they have on the defensive line. Linebackers had a good spring, corners were playing well in spring and several other DBs looked good as well.
- There’s a chat session among position groups every day led by individual players, doesn’t want to single out any particular player but said he’s been pleased that a number of guys have stepped up in a leadership role.
- Didn’t know much about Netflix until now. Found a show he likes…Bloodlines. Said he he’s exercised a lot more than he ever has.
Will Muschamp conference call