DT Marlin Dean (6-6 265) of Elberton, GA figures to be one of Georgia’s top prospects in 2020 considering his early offer list. He’s not been rated by the recruiting networks, but his offers include USC, Florida State, Auburn, Georgia, Colorado, West Virginia, East Carolina, Georgia State and Georgia Tech.
Saturday Dean was at USC for the junior day. And one of the first things on his highlight list from the visit had nothing to do with football.
“They had the #1 International Business school in the world, not just the country but the world,” Dean said. “That was one thing I wanted to kind of major in, and they really hit me up with that outside of football.”
But there was plenty of football talk as well between Dean and Gamecock defensive line coach John Scott, recruiter Mike Bobo and head coach Will Muschamp. He came away enlightened on how the Gamecocks run their defensive front.
“The way they run their defense, there’s just something different,” Dean said. “They rotate defensive linemen. They have a continuous rotation and that’s something I could work with. They said they see me working good on their defense. They said I have quick hands and I’m very explosive off the ball, and I’d fit right into their program the way they develop their athletes.”
After the visit, the Gamecocks find themselves sitting in a good position with a top prospect from a program that usually is locked in with UGA.
“I feel good about them. They are going to be one of my top picks,” Dean said. “They are up there. I learned a lot more about it. They are in the top three.”
Dean also has Georgia and Georgia Tech in his top three. He also has visited Georgia, Georgia State and North Carolina. This spring he plans to visit Florida State and make return trips to USC and Georgia.
- #STRecruiting: Maryland DB set to visit #Clemson next weekend; also likes #Gamecocks February 28, 2020
- #STRecruiting: Sumter's Boone commits to Florida but doesn't close down recruiting February 27, 2020
- #Gamecocks find a way in OT to beat Georgia again 94-90 (AUDIO) February 26, 2020
- #Gamecocks baseball coach Mark Kingston previews #Clemson series on SportsTalk (AUDIO) February 26, 2020
- Dabo Swinney recaps Day 1 of #Clemson Spring (AUDIO) February 26, 2020