You can bet there won’t be much of a New Year’s celebration around the USC basketball program, not after a dreadful performance in a 63-56 loss to Stetson Monday afternoon to close out the 2019 portion of the schedule. The momentum and excitement the Gamecocks had built with back to back road wins at Clemson and Virginia were wiped away in a game USC led only twice, and by one point each time, and against a team 327th in the NET ranking.
Key points in USC’s loss to Stetson
- The Gamecocks shot 37% for the game, made only 4-19 threes and were 12-24 from the line.
- Maik Kotsar was the only Gamecock in double figures with 11 points.
- USC had 13 offensive rebounds but turned those in to just 5 points.
- Columbia native Christiaan Jones led the Hatters with 18 points.
- The Hatters shot just 37% but made 7 three pointers and 24 foul shots.
- Stetson led by 7 at halftime and built the lead to 13. The Gamecocks got as close as 2 at 51-49 but made just two baskets the rest of the way.
- The Gamecocks return to action at home January 7th when they open SEC play against Florida.