Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney held his weekly teleconference, Sunday, after the Tigers wrapped up their fifth consecutive Atlantic division title with a dominant 55-10 victory over NC State.
After yet another 50-point performance, Swinney commented on the top reasons this offense has been so dynamic. He mentioned a number of factors, from the play along the offensive line, depth at wide receiver and the explosiveness of the running backs, but he drove home the point that he thinks the Tigers quarterback is still not getting enough attention. “Trevor’s ability to throw and run the football so effectively. He has really not gotten the credit he deserves. He is awesome and the numbers he’s put up are amazing.”
Swinney also addressed Arkansas’ recent firing of his old offensive coordinator, Chad Morris, “There’s a lot of people in this business that are going to get fired if you only get a year and a half to build a program … I think if they had just left him alone, continued to support him and take the pressure off, I think he would have built a really good program there.”
Key comments from Dabo Swinney teleconference
- Swinney: Liked the mindset, readiness and preparation of his team. Excited to clinch Atlantic Division fifth straight season and go to 10-0 for fifth time in school history.
- Clemson has outscored its opponents 128-7 in first quarter. Swinney says that speaks to the team’s preparedness and ability to defend multiple styles.
- Clemson had five TD drives of 75+ yards and no turnovers. 200+ yards rushing five games in a row. Too many penalties and a couple of drops, but played well, otherwise.
- No significant injuries to report.
- All the linemen are now lobbying to be featured in the Clemson’s short-yardage “Freezer Package.”
- Swinney said because of the number of cross-over opponents, he’s seen a lot of Wake Forest film. Receivers are outstanding and their quarterback (Jamie Newman) is a future pro.
Dabo Swinney teleconference