To say the Louisville football program was a dumpster fire the end of last season would have been an understatement. After a 2-8 start, Bobby Petrino was fired from his second stint as the Cardinals’ head coach. They would lose their last two games under interim coach Lorenzo Ward. The Cardinals’ defense allowed 51 or more points seven times. In December, the Cards hired Scott Satterfield away from Appalachian State. His impact has been immediate. UL has won four of its last five games and handed Wake Forest its first loss last weekend. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney, anticipating this weekend’s game at Louisville, couldn’t be more impressed by what Satterfield has done in a such a short period of time.
Some key comments from Swinney’s pre-Louisville press conference:
- Louisville is a team that’s improving, beat an undefeated Wake Forest team on the road, polar opposite at Louisville now compared to last year, excellent scheme on both sides.
- Everything Louisville does on offense is built to run the football. A team that knows what it’s doing on offense. Both QBs are accurate passers.
- Louisville offense is very explosive and it’s built off the run game. Lot of pressure on the safeties this week. Louisville will be physical up front and has skill to make plays.
- Louisville passing game comes off play-action, so they have to run the ball to be effective thru the air. They are not an option team but you have to defend them that way.
- Louisville defense got off to a slow start but has gotten much better, rallying to the ball, playing physical and getting after the quarterback.
- Swinney said Satterfield has done a great job at UL. “Coaching matters. You can tell these kids believe in what they are trying to do.”
- Swinney said he’s not lost any confidence in Potter. Said he will kick in the NFL, best pure kicker he’s had with leg strength.
- On the yelling at Potter during Saturday’s game after a missed field goal, Swinney said, “That’s just coaching.” Said he chewed out Deshaun Watson, he’s chewed out Etienne and Lawrence. Said he looked for a chance to yell at Lawrence.
- Swinney said OG Bockhorst, who was named ACC OL of the week, wasn’t not even one of their players of the game. Carman and Etienne were. But he said their OL is playing extremely well.
- DE KJ Henry is one of their most improved guys. He’s developed physically, playing faster.
Excerpts from Swinney’s press conference:
Swinney’s opening comments on FSU win and looking at UL
Swinney expounds on Scott Satterfield’s impact at Louisville
Swinney on his handling of PK BT Potter, demoted to long kicks and kickoffs
Swinney on play of Isaiah Simmons and development of defensive ends