Today’s game with Texas A&M at Death Valley was circled on the calendar of every Clemson fan. Knowing how the rest of the schedule lines up, the fans knew, and if they wanted to admit it, so did the coaches and players, that a win over the Aggies would basically give the Tigers a clear path to the national semi-finals in Atlanta. The top ranked Tigers delivered grinding out a 24-10 win over the #11 Aggies to run their winning streak to 17. Next up will be a trip to Syracuse, a 43 point loser to Maryland Saturday.
Clemson HERE for my recap from Death Valley:
Trevor Lawrence passed for 268 yards completing 24-35 attempts (Travis Bell/SIDELINE CAROLINA)
Some of the key points from the Clemson victory:
- After spotting Texas A&M a 3-0 lead, Clemson scored the next 24 points and took that 24-3 lead into the final minutes when A&M knocked in its lone touchdown.
- Trevor Lawrence was on target from the start hitting his first five passes and 22 of his first 26. He was helped out a couple of times by Justyn Ross and Tee Higgins with exceptional catches.
- Amari Rodgers returned to action today for the first time since his ACL injury in the spring. He caught 2 passes for 6 yards.
- Lyn-J Dixon led Clemson in rushing with 79 yards on 11 carries with 1 touchdown. Travis Etienne had just 53 yards on 16 carries.
- The 389 total yards are the fewest for Clemson in a win since totalling 331 yards in the win over Miami in the 2017 ACC Championship Game.
- Clemson held the Aggies to just 53 rushing yards on 27 attempts. Quarterback Kellen Mond was 24-42 for 236 yards but was intercepted at the Clemson one by Tanner Muse. And he rushed for just 1 yard. Last season in the loss at Texas A&M, Mond totaled 463, 430 thru the air.
- The Tigers won the turnover battle 2-1 and Dabo Swinney pointed out the Tigers have outscored their opponents 69-0 off turnovers over a period of time he did not specify.
- K’Von Wallace led the tacklers with 9, including a sack and a tackle for loss. He also had a quarterback hurry. The Tigers had 2 sacks, 3 tackles for loss and broke up 6 passes.
- Final Stats
Dabo Swinney postgame press conference
Jimbo Fisher postgame press conference