Will Muschamp and the Gamecocks got what was expected in their home opener, but also sorely needed, after faltering in Week 1 as double-digit favorites. While North Carolina’s Mack Brown was dancing, Muschamp and his staff were preparing freshman quarterback Ryan Hilinski for his first career start. So far, so good, as the highly touted recruit connected on his first twelve passes and threw for 282 yards and a pair of touchdowns in South Carolina’s 72-10 win over Charleston Southern Saturday.
Click HERE for my recap from Williams-Brice Stadium:
- The 72 points are the most the Gamecocks have scored in the Will Muschamp era. The Gamecocks also surpassed the school record for total yards with 775, breaking a mark set by Steve Taneyhill and company against Louisiana Tech in 1995.
- Wide receiver Bryan Edwards was largely involved in the game plan as he was targeted early and often by quarterback Ryan Hilinski. Edwards caught five passes for 112 yards and two touchdowns, all in the first half. Edwards is now tied with Pharoh Cooper for sixth on the school’s all-time touchdown receptions list. Edwards caught just one pass for seven yards in the season opener.
- After rushing for just 128 yards in Week 1, both Rico Dowdle and Tavien Feaster were fed early. Dowdle ran for two 1st-half touchdowns and Feaster was featured in the passing game, but it was Kevin Harris that broke the day’s long run of 75 yards. Harris ended up as the game’s leading rusher with 147 yards and three touchdowns on just six carries. Mon Denson also broke the century mark with 118 yards on nine carries. .
- The Gamecocks defense was able to come up with three interceptions and displayed a renewed fervor in both tackling and coverage.
- South Carolina ran a lot of “up-tempo” offense in its first few drives. The Gamecocks also ran more plays out of the pistol and I-formation than a week ago. We will have to wait and see if those adjustments will make their way into the game plan for Alabama.
- Kicker Parker White hit a 47-yard field goal in the 2nd quarter, tying his career long.
- Linebacker Sherrod Greene was ejected for a targeting penalty, but because the play occurred in the first half, he will be eligible to return for the Alabama game.
- Dakereon Joyner saw action at both quarterback and wide receiver, finishing with 12 yards receiving, 53 yards rushing and a rushing touchdown.
- Final Stats
POSTGAME COMMENTS FROM WILL MUSCHAMP:
POSTGAME COMMENTS FROM BRYAN EDWARDS AND RICO DOWDLE:
POSTGAME COMMENTS FROM DAKEREON JOYNER AND NICK MUSE: