Will Muschamp addressed the media via conference call Sunday to preview South Carolina‘s Week 2 matchup with Charleston Southern. But after the Gamecocks suffered a devastating loss to North Carolina as a double-digit favorite Saturday, all of the questions Coach Muschamp faced were in reference to correcting the mistakes his team made in the season opener.
While Muschamp admitted Jake Bentley didn’t play well (16-30, 142 yards, 1 TD, 2 int’s), he was quick to point out he received little support from his offensive line or receiving corps.
Charleston Southern also rolls in at 0-1, falling at Furman 46-13. The Gamecocks open the home slate against the Buccaneers Saturday at noon.
KEY COMMENTS FROM WILL MUSCHAMP:
- Extremely disappointed to give up back-to-back touchdown drives of more than 90 yards. We always tell our guys games come down to three or four plays and we didn’t make those plays.
- We had plenty of opportunities … but Jake (Bentley) needs to throw the ball better.
- We didn‘t play well at the wide receiver position, either. There were some routes run incorrectly, so Jake expected them to be one place and they were another. Jake didn‘t play well, but we didn‘t play well around him, either.
- On potential change at QB position: We‘re evaluating everything.
- Pleased with the play of both Rico Dowdle and Tavien Feaster. Thought they got all they could get.
- On missed tackles: A couple of our guys don‘t bring their feet and wrap up.
- There were four 50-50 balls and they got three of them. One on a third down and two for touchdowns.
- We‘re going to look at different combinations along the offensive line. We gave up too much penetration.
- There is good leadership on this team … kids are resilient. They are responding the right way and are very coachable.
- OrTre Smith and AJ Turner were held out of the first game with shoulder injuries but are both expected to be available for the home opener against Charleston Southern.