Will Muschamp is set to launch his fourth season at USC Saturday with what he has called his most talented and deepest team. The Gamecocks face North Carolina at 3:30 PM Saturday in Charlotte and are 9.5 point favorites against their old ACC rivals. The game will pit Muschamp against his former boss at Texas, Mack Brown. The Gamecocks have won the last three meetings with the Tar Heels and six of the last seven.
Some of Muschamp’s key comments:
- DT Kier Thomas has an infection in his ankle and is still out, will be out at least two weeks. TE Evan Hinson is leaving program and transferring to play basketball. No update on Nick Muse eligibility status.
- Believes this will be his deepest team, rolled three groups out on defensive line in last scrimmage, happy about that, has made them better.
- Expects SAF JT Ibe should be ready to against North Carolina despite his pec issue.
- Expects McClendon to be more comfortable as a play caller in his second season running the offense.
- Joyner definitely will play Saturday, he’s handled his situation very well. Also has been very pleased with Feaster and how he’s handled his business.
- Feels this is the most talented team he’s had and the deepest team he’s had.
Will Muschamp opening comments on North Carolina
Muschamp on running back rotation going into the opener