Dabo Swinney has experienced the good and the bad of the Clemson-USC rivalry. He’s 5-5 in his ten games as head coach. He has endured a five game losing streak to the Gamecocks and is now enjoying a four game winning streak. His 2nd ranked Tigers have plenty to play for from a national perspective but he realizes, and this isn’t just coach-speak, that the Palmetto Bowl is its own season and life is much better when in possession of the trophy.
Some of Swinney’s key comments from Tuesday press conference:
- USC is 6-4 but lost two close ones so really could be an 8 win team…defense up front is very good and they will get some people back on defense this week…impressed with DJ Wonnum, TJ Brunson and Rashad Fenton.
- USC offense appears to be much better, Bentley has been very good, receivers are a good group, Samuel is really tough to bring down, Edwards can go up and get it, Shi Smith is dangerous.
- Zack Bailey very good player on the USC offensive line, really likes him, not too concerned with tempo offense, they’ve seen that this season.
- Nothing has changed with Hunter Renfrow and he’s still looking at him as day to day.
- “You won’t see me doing any five-bombs if we were to win. I’m all about what’s in front of us.”
- In their 5 game losing streak they had 15 turnovers to their 3, and USC was really good, he said 2 of those years he thought they didn’t have much of a chance. Thought 3 of the years they were as good if not better but didn’t do what they needed to win.
- Said South Carolina is getting better, Muschamp is doing a good job, recruiting well, thinks it will be a very tough game.
Dabo Swinney breaks down the USC offense and defense
Swinney on the approach to Thanksgiving and Rivalry Week
Swinney reflects on his five game losing streak in the rivalry
Swinney on how he dealt with the losing streak