Jake Bentley will be USC’s starting quarterback Saturday against Texas A&M, as long as his balky knee (grade-1 MCL sprain) is good-to-go. So said Gamecock head coach Will Muschamp Tuesday at his weekly press conference. Bentley missed his first game last Saturday since becoming the starter midway thru the 2016 season. In his place, senior Michael Scarnecchia rallied the Gamecocks to a win over Missouri.
Some of Muschamp’s key comments Tuesday:
- “Texas A&M is an outstanding football team, have a lot of respect for Jimbo Fisher, we worked together at Auburn and LSU. We know each other very well.”
- “Jake practiced today, he looked really good. If he continues to look this good, he’ll be the starter. I told Jake and Mike they both need to ready to go Saturday.”
- “I feel comfortable with both guys, we have two guys I believe we can win with.”
- You can’t take away the fact Bentley has more in-game experience than Scarnecchia. They are similar players with the way they call the game, but you can’t replace experience Bentley has over Scarnecchia.
- Both DB JT Ibe and DE/BUCK DJ Wonnum won’t play this week. RB AJ Turner is still in concussion protocol and is questionable this week.
Will Muschamp opening statement on Texas A&M
Muschamp on Jake Bentley and the QB decision
How he deals with team’s personal fouls