Clemson played a Syracuse team last week that went fast on offense. This weekend in Winston-Salem the Tigers will see an offense that moves with an even faster tempo according to head coach Dabo Swinney. And he feels the Demon Deacons have the moving parts to be dangerous if his defense is not prepared.
Some key comments from Swinney’s Tuesday press conference:
- Not sure how to describe Wake Forest, how they get their plays called, they are “so fast, so fast.”
- Deacons are very unique on offense, like Georgia Tech but have their own style.
- Wake has a lot of pop passes in the offense, and the defense has to fit the gaps properly.
- Lawrence was fine in practice last night. He wasn’t very smart on the play he was hurt and needs to learn to “live for another day” in those situations.
- Lawrence was having head and neck issues after the hit, they put him in concussion protocol, he was feeling better after the game and got gradually better and looked good last night.
- There are some unknowns about Wake Forest on defense and on offense they are built to run the ball.
- Thru 5 games they are averaging an all time high of over 7 yards per play, they have been excellent with big plays.
- (Holding his thumb and forefinger close together) Said he feels they are just that close to being special.
- Xavier Thomas has taken off “like a rocket ship.” Said they did a poor job of rotating their guys in on the defensive line last week.
- Chemistry, leadership and morale are undervalued when it comes to the type of season you’re going to have, it’s not just talent. Pointed out several young guys had to step up last week due to injuries. Said this team is a special group.
Dabo Swinney press conference opening comments
Swinney breaks down the Wake Forest offense
Swinney coaching up Trevor Lawrence on avoiding the big hit
Swinney on defending the Demon Deacons’ star receiver Greg Dortch
Swinney praises the young reserves who did the job vs Syracuse