USC football coach Will Muschamp met with the media Saturday morning following practice which included a scrimmage of about 100 snaps. The Gamecocks will stage another scrimmage Monday afternoon. Muschamp touched on injuries, position battles, eligibility appeals to the NCAA, and he had some choice words regarding ESPN’s story on Friday about the Maryland football program under coach DJ Durkin.
Notes from the Muschamp press conference:
- Tyreek Johnson and Caleb Kinlaw are lost for the season with knee injuries, Jesus Gibbs suffered torn meniscus, had a scope and will be back.
- Tevyn Jackskon had some heat issues and hope to get him back in couple of days, Rosendo Louis injured a shoulder and will be fine.
- Jabari Ellis was cleared three days ago and has shown some flashes. Josh Belk will be in shells Sunday and Monday and will be in full pads after that.
- They feel good about Belk getting an NCAA waiver to be eligible right away, feels like he has a good case and the recent NCAA trend has been in favor of the transfers.
- Jamel Cook was a player they recruited for a long time out of Miami, Cook reached out to them, they will appeal for immediate eligibility due to some issues at home, he’s a corner.
- They are not very good at the safety position right now, Nick Harvey being used some there. Steven Montac has looked good.
- Jaycee Horn had a pick in the red-zone today and is going to play a lot this season. Israel Mukuamu also has progressed, has to get stronger at the line.
Muschamp press conference Saturday: