For the third time in the month of September, Clemson defeated a top 15 team Saturday night in Blacksburg, VA taking down Virginia Tech 31-17. The Tigers became the first team in history to defeat three top 15 ranked teams in the month of September. But the season is not yet half over and there are five more ACC games beginning with this Saturday’s homecoming against Wake Forest. Dabo Swinney appreciates his team’s #2 national ranking again this week but in his Sunday conference call he sounded the warning that the job is not yet finished.
Some key notes from Swinney’s conference call:
- Thought it was their best game of season defensively, stopped the run and created turnovers, good red zone defense.
- Offensively a fast start with 10 points before VT had a first down, won turnover margin, good in red zone.
- Did miss some opportunities on offense that would have really created separation. Not as good on third down as he likes. 3 sacks, 1 on OL.
- Justin Foster only new injury and he won’t be able to practice this week with an ankle injury.
- Mullen is good to go and was available to play Saturday night but others were playing well and in a rhythm.
Swinney Sunday conference call