The defensive numbers allowed by USC in the win over East Carolina are enough to make Nick Saban blush.
519 yards on 91 plays, 34 first downs, 400 passing yards, 38 minutes of ball possession, and a single receiver with 22 catches.
Yet, the Gamecocks won the game and head coach Will Muschamp pointed out several reasons in his Sunday conference call why his defense played better than those numbers indicate.
Some of Muschamp’s key comments:
- Averaged 5 yards per carry in run game with only 3 negative plays.
- 9 explosive plays, 6 yards per play, third down hurt the offense. ECU had 5 explosive plays & 4 turnovers.
- Played well on defense in red zone. 19 defensive players played at least 30 plays.
- Chris Lammons was player of the game defensively.
- Brandon McIlwain was offensive player of the game and Zack Bailey was offensive lineman of the game.
- Felt his players brought some passion and emotion to the field.
- Thinks Samuel will be able to play this Saturday.
- Hopes to get Dowdle back in practice in a week and will play him when he gets healthy.
Will Muschamp conference call