USC coach Will Muschamp said on his Sunday conference call that the starting quarterback competition remains too close to call at this point and he will wait until the season opener at Vanderbilt to name the starter. Muschamp said all three quarterbacks, Perry Orth, Brandon McIlwain and Jake Bentley, did good things in Saturday night’s scrimmage.
Muschamp said that if one of the three had clearly separated from the pack he would say so, but he also said he believes it’s to his team’s advantage to keep the Commodores guessing about the starter. And Muschamp said there’s a strong possibility of two quarterbacks playing in the opener.
Other key notes from Sunday’s conference call:
- 150 snaps in scrimmage…worked variety of situations. Thought situational work was outstanding. Hit on all phases of special teams.
- Very efficient on offense, had a good tempo. Tight ends had big plays down the field. Thought they ran it well and no turnovers.
- Stallworth continues to have excellent camp as is Fenton. Need to develop more rushers and disruptive players.
- Bailey missed scrimmage but should be ready to practice again this week.
- Dowdle, Denson and Bryant out for first game and maybe more. Markway is 50/50.
- Jordan Diggs missed scrimmage with shoulder but expected back Monday.
- Trey Derouen also missed scrimmage and is expected back this week.
- Stephon Taylor scrimmaged and did nice job.
- Expects to have Robert Tucker back in practice Monday.
- Randrecous Davis strained hamstring and missed last couple of days and hopes to have him back this week.
- Practice Monday and Tuesday and take Wednesday off and start Vandy prep Thursday.
- Thought David Williams did a nice job running last night, got behind his pads well. Turner remains #1 back but it will be by committee.
- Fenton, Lammons, King and McWilliams are top 4 corners. McWilliams was back for the scrimmage after missing a few practices for personal reasons. Elder and Smith top 2 safeties.
- Will make an announcement on playing status of Pellage when it’s appropriate and it’s not right now.
Will Muschamp Sunday conference call