USC held its first major scrimmage of the fall inside Williams-Brice Stadium Saturday. The scrimmage was closed to the public and the media and no post scrimmage report was issued by USC sports information.
So, Sunday afternoon coach Will Muschamp used a conference call to share some details about the scrimmage and news about his team.
Some key notes from Muschamp:
- Some positives on both sides but a long way to go. 120 snaps in the scrimmage.
- All three QBs did some good things, extended drives, made plays on third down, protected the ball, none stands out.
- Samuel played extremely well, had a well contested catch over Fenton. Smith did well. Did have 8 drops, not all at wide receiver.
- Hayden Hurst did well, Pollard did a nice job, had over 40 snaps, KC Crosby cleared for full go. Need to play better in offensive line.
- Shawn Elliott displeased with play of OL. Ran the ball decent.
- Griffin and Stallworth had good scrimmages, best since he’s been there. Holloman played well. Secondary was OK, not good. 100% on kicks.
- One injury, Stephen Montac hit pretty good, back on Monday. Hopes to get Markway back in two weeks.
- Moving Darius Whitfield to OL and Javon Charleston moved to DB.
- Charleston is a good athlete, been physical on special teams, runs well, and this gives him a chance to play quicker. Has toughness.
- Running backs are about where they’ve been, felt Williams continued to progress. Feels they are getting better as a group.
- Jordan Diggs been very productive will play safety and nickel. Fenton is best cover guy outside. Montac and Wilder also can be nickels.
- All three quarterbacks had extended drives that led to field goals and touchdowns. More positives than negatives at the QB position.
- Walk on offensive lineman Chandler Farrell will play some this year. Knott playing more guard due to hand injury. Helms and Stanley can snap.
- Aaron Thompson will help on the defensive line, feels he’s a good SEC lineman. Wonnum, Smith, Blackshear also have looked good in camp.
- English has had a good camp at the Buck end.
- Punter Sean Kelly will not be suspended after his arrest Friday and charged with public disorderly conduct and malicious injury to tree, house and trespass upon real property with an injury value $2,000 or less, according to South Carolina Judicial Department records. He has an August 24th court date.
- Said there are so many unknowns that it’s created some angst for him, he doesn’t know how some guys are going to react.
Will Muschamp Sunday teleconference
The Gamecocks return to practice Monday night at 6:30 PM at the stadium and the practice will be the first of three in a row open to the public.