Georgia was able to sit back and enjoy a weekend of football spectating the past couple of days. The Bulldogs are still feeling pretty good about things after a week one home win over Clemson. Now Mark Richt will take his team on the road to face USC in the team’s SEC opener. The Gamecocks have won two straight over the Bulldogs in Columbia. However, Georgia is the favorite this week because of Todd Gurley’s strength and a Gamecock defense that has been a bit shaky in the first two weeks of the season. Here are the highlights of Richt’s Sunday teleconference, audio also attached.
- Richt said he was very impressed with USC’s offensive line in the win over East Carolina.
- Richt said he still has vivid memories of the last time the Bulldogs were in Columbia, when they were blown out by the Gamecocks.
- Richt said he is glad they had an open date to get extra time to prepare for the game. He said they were able to get more information from watching the East Carolina game.
- Richt said Malcolm Mitchell and Scott Wesley are day-to-day, but right now he says they are both doubtful.
- Richt said it is very difficult to communicate verbally on the offensive end at Williams-Brice because of the crowd noise. He said everything snowballed two years ago there.
- Richt said he expects the defense at USC to continue to improve this week. He said he expects it to be tough to get yards and first downs this week.
- Richt said the biggest difference between Dylan Thompson and Connor Shaw is the fact Shaw ran the ball a lot more.
- Richt said it will be a challenge for his new offensive line to adjust to playing on the road. He said the pass rushers at USC have the advantage playing at home.
- Richt called Davis a big, strong, physical back. He said they will have to wait and see how they do in terms of tackling him.