After so many near misses, Frank Martin finally has a signature win at USC. The Gamecocks pulled off a 72-67 upset over 17th ranked Kentucky Saturday night at Colonial Life Arena, and at least for a night, they felt like they belonged among the best in SEC.
There were over 15,000 fans in Colonial Life Arena, more than half of which were wearing Blue and White, but the energy was palpable and the Gamecocks fed off the atmosphere and played their best game of the season. You can’t sell the Gamecock faithful in the stands short either. Any time the Kentucky fans started up a cheer, the Carolina fans quickly chanted to drown it out. Following suit, any time the Wildcats players made a push, the Gamecock players banded together to make sure they didn’t let the upset spoil.
Here’s what Frank Martin had to say after the win:
Notes of interest:
- John Calipari was ejected in the second half after receiving his second technical foul. One of his assistants also was given a technical during the game. Calipari also decided to skip the postgame press conference. The Kentucky writers that made the trip were not happy about that decision.
- The USC students stormed the court after the game. That will cost the athletic department a hefty fine from the SEC. Security did their best with the yellow rope and several announcements to stay off the court, but these students were not going to be denied.
- Frank Martin said the crowd is another sign that it’s coming for his program. He believes it can be like that every night when as they continue to improve.
- Double digit scorers for USC: Brenton Williams led the Gamecocks with 24 points. Freshman guard Sindarius Thornwell scored 14 and Michael Carrera had 11.
- USC committed six turnovers. Kentucky committed 10.
Here is my video recap of the game: