By: Justin Stevens
Clemson comes into the Columbia Regional with a 33-26 overall record and a 16-14 record in the ACC. Clemson plays in-state rival, Coastal Carolina, in the regional opener on Friday at noon.
Clemson is a familiar foe to South Carolina and Coastal Carolina as they played each of them this season. Head coach Jack Leggett, third-baseman Richie Shaffer and designated hitter Phil Pohl spoke with the media today about the Columbia Regional.
Here are a few notes about the second seed Clemson Tigers:
- Clemson will make its 37th appearance to the NCAA tournament (5th in NCAA). The Tigers have made it to the College World Series 12 times (11th in NCAA).
- Jack Leggett is in his 19th season as CU’s skipper and presents a 845-401-1 overall record and has 1222 wins all-time (14th in Division 1 history.
- Clemson is 40-8 against Coastal Carolina and 3-0 in NCAA tournament games.
- Clemson hosted Coastal Carolina last year in the Clemson Regional and won 12-7.
- Leggett will send sophomore right-hander, Kevin Pohle, to the mound against Coastal Carolina on Friday at noon. Pohle posts a 6-4 record and has an ERA of 3.66.
AUDIO: Jack Leggett and players preview Columbia Regional [14:18]