Here is a quick recap of the scoring in the second quarter of the Orange Bowl:
- West Virginia opened the second quarter with the ball on its own 41. From there the Mountaineers would complete a drive that would give them their first lead of the game. Tavon Austin scored on a 27 yard rush to put WVU up 21-17 with 13:25 left in the half. The drive covered 80 yards in nine plays and took 2:20 off the clock.
- Clemson appeared ready to go back on top on its next possession. The Tigers moved inside the West Virginia five yard line and had a first and goal from the three. Andre Ellington took the first down carry and was diving for the end zone when he was stripped by West Virginia safety Darwin Cook who turned around and scored on a stunning 99 yard return. After a review the play stood and the Mountaineers had a 28-17 lead with 10:28 left in the quarter. That was Elllington’s first fumble in 249 carries.
- To make matters worse for Clemson they went three-and-out on their next possession.
- Fortunately for Clemson the Tigers defense forced the Mountaineers to punt on their next possession.
- On its next possession Clemson drove to the West Virginia 25 yard line before the drive stalled. Chandler Catanzaro came on and hit a 43 yard field goal to take the West Virginia lead down to eight points at 28-20 with less than five minutes in the half.
- On its next possession West Virginia extended its lead by virtue of a six play 64 yard scoring drive capped by a seven yard touchdown run by quarterback Geno Smith. That gave the Mountaineers a 35-20 lead with 2:29 left in the half.
- Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd threw his first interception of the night on the Tigers next possession. Boyd’s second down pass was intercepted on the Clemson 32 yard line. Three plays later the Mountaineers were in the end zone with and had a 42-20 lead with less than two minutes to play in the half.
- Unfortunately for Clemson they weren’t done shooting themselves in the foot. On the Tigers next possession Tajh Boyd fumbled on his own 18 yard line and it was recovered by the Mountaineers. That lead to another Mountaineers touchdown with just four seconds left in the half. It gave them a 49-20 lead.
HALFTIME SCORE: West Virginia 49, Clemson 20.