Clemson’s two decade ACC title drought ended Saturday night in Charlotte. The Tigers pounded Virginia Tech 38-10 at Bank of America Stadium to lock up the school’s first ACC title since 1991. The win clinches a spot in the Orange Bowl next month in Miami, their first appearance in that bowl game since the 1981 national championship game.
“We are a championship program and tonight we added to a great tradition,” Dabo Swinney said after the game.
Clemson didn’t look like a team coming off three losses in its past four games. The Tigers looked like the confident group that started the season 8-0. Tajh Boyd completed 20 of 29 passes for 240 yards and three touchdowns. He ran for another 34 yards and a score and earned MVP honors.
Here are some other facts and figures following Clemson’s win:
- Clemson wins it first ACC Championship since 1991 and its 14th overall. Clemson has more ACC titles than any other school.
- • With the win the Tigers will go to the Discover Orange Bowl. It will be Clemson’s first appearance in the Orange Bowl since 1981 when Clemson won the National Championship. It will be Clemson’s first appearance in a BCS level bowl since 1981.
- • This is Clemson’s first 10 win season since 1990 when Clemson was 10-2.
- • Earlier this week former Clemson great Chester McGlockton passed away in Stanford, CA. The 42-year-old was a starter on both the 1990 and 1991 teams. He wore number-91.
- • This win equals the highest ranked team Clemson has beaten in its history. In 2003, Clemson defeated a third ranked Florida State team. Virginia Tech was third ranked by the USA Today poll entering tonight’s game.
- • When Clemson beat a third ranked Florida State team in 2003, Clemson was coming off a 28-point loss at Wake Forest. Florida State was coming off a 37-0 win at Notre Dame. In this game, Clemson was coming off a 21-point loss at South Carolina and Virginia Tech was coming off a 38-0 win at Virginia.
- • In 2005, Florida State had lost three straight entering the ACC Championship game with Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech was coming off a 38-point win at Virginia. Florida State won that game in 2005. Virginia Tech was coming off a 38-point win at Virginia and Clemson had lost two games entering the game.
- • Clemson is now 13-0 under Dabo Swinney in orange jerseys and white pants.
- • This victory is the fourth of the year against a top 25 team for the Tigers, a Clemson single season record. Clemson also defeated ranked opponents from Virginia Tech, Florida State and Auburn earlier this year.
- • This is the first time Clemson has beaten two top 10 teams in the same season since 1981 when Clemson was the only team in the nation to beat three top 10 teams.
- • This is the first time Clemson has beaten the same team twice in a season.