Clemson coach Dabo Swinney usually takes a “glass is half full” approach to most things. And he was at his upbeat, optimistic best at his weekly news conference Tuesday previewing the ACC title game this Saturday against Virginia Tech in Charlotte.
Swinney has seen his team lose three of its last four after starting 8-0 and rising to seventh in the BCS rankings. Most painful, for sure, was last Saturday night’s loss at USC, his third straight loss to the Gamecocks.
Swinney not only has to rally the troops inside the locker room, he has to rally the Tiger faithful as well. He did his best to do that Tuesday.
Key pre-game notes:
- Clemson is 9-3, 6-2 in the ACC; Virginia Tech is 11-1 and 7-1
- Clemson defeated Virginia Tech in Blacksburg 23-3 October 1st
- Clemson held the Hokies without a home touchdown for the first time since 1995
- Clemson leads the series 18-12-1
- This will be Clemson’s 5th game against a top 25 team this season
- Clemson is 3-1 in those games
- 19 current Tigers played in Clemson’s 2009 ACC title game loss to Georgia Tech