Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd’s month long slump continued Saturday night. Boyd completed just 11 of 29 passes for 83 yards with one interception and one touchdown. The once potent Tigers offense now looks lost. Despite the recent struggles, Boyd maintains that he hasn’t lost his confidence in himself or his unit.
Tight end Dwayne Allen said he is already past the loss. His focus shifted immediately to next weekend’s ACC title game against Virginia Tech.
Defensive end Andre Branch echoed Allen’s sentiment. He said it will be up to the leaders on the team to make sure everyone gets back to work and regains focus for the ACC title game.
Clemson player notes following game at USC:
- *Tajh Boyd broke the Clemson single season records for touchdown passes and touchdown responsibility tonight when he threw a nine-yard touchdown pass to Dwayne Allen in the first half. It was Boyd’s 28th touchdown pass of the year, breaking the mark of 27 by Cullen Harper in 2007. It was also his 32nd scoring pass in terms of touchdown responsibility (TD passes and rushing scores). It broke the record of 31 set by Woody Dantzler in 2001.
- *Allen scored his sixth receiving touchdown of the season tonight. It is the second most for a tight end in Clemson history. He is now just one short of the record of seven by Bennie Cunningham in 1974.
- *Andre Branch had two sacks tonight for 16 years. It gives him 10.5 sacks for the year, tied for the fourth most in Clemson history for a season. The record is 16 by Keith Adams in 1999, and Da’Quan Bowers had 15.5 last year. Gaines Adams had 12.5 in 2006. Adrian Dingle had 10.5 in 1998.
- *Rennie Moore had three tackles for loss this evening for 12 yards. That is a single game career high for Moore.
- *Rashard Hall led Clemson in tackles tonight with 12. It is his season high and third most by a Clemson defender this year.
- *Drew Traylor blocked a punt in the first half, the first blocked kick of any kind this year and the first of Traylor career. He was with 29 punt return yards on the play, his first career return yards of any kind.
- *Andre Ellington had 164 all-purpose yards tonight, 66 rushing and 93 on kickoff returns. It was just the second game this year Ellington had returned kickoffs.
- *Chandler Catanzaro kicked two field goals tonight and has now made five in a row dating to his 43-yarder that won the Wake Forest game. He is now 19-24 for the year and 7-10 on field goals of 40 yards or more. He is now 13-19 on field goals of 40 yards or more in his career and that .683 percentage is the best in Clemson history.
- *Sammy Watkins was held to four receptions for 39 yards tonight, but did go over the 70 catch mark for the season. He now has 72 for the season, third in Clemson history. The record is 88 by Aaron Kelly in 2007 and Rod Gardner had 80 in 1999. Watkins now has 1073 receiving yards for the season, third in Clemson history, but he needs just 12 receiving yards in the ACC Championship game to break Rod Gardner’s record of 1084 set in 1999.
- *Andre Ellington needs 63 yards in the ACC Championship game to reach 1000 yards for the year. When he does it will make this just the third team in Clemson history with a 1000-yard rusher and a 1000-yard receiver.