Clemson freshman Sammy Watkins has been named one of 15 national semifinalists for the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award. Watkins is the only freshman and one of just two receivers on the list.
A list of five finalists will be announced on Wednesday, November 30.
The 2011 Walter Camp Player of the Year recipient, who is voted on by the Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches and sports information directors, will be presented live on Thursday, December 8 during the 6 p.m. edition of ESPN Sports Center. The winner will receive his trophy at the Foundation’s annual national awards banquet on Saturday, January 14, 2012 at the Yale University Commons in New Haven.
Watkins has had a record setting season just 10 games into his Clemson career. He has 68 receptions for 1034 yards and 10 touchdown. He has established ACC freshman records in all three areas. He also leads all freshmen nationally in those three areas.
The native of Fort Myers, FL is also fourth in the nation in all-purpose running yards per game with a 187 yard average. Watkins has been named ACC Rookie of the Week four times and the Receiver of the Week three times this year. He has three games of at least 150 receiving yards this year, already a Clemson career record.
2011 Walter Camp Player of the Year Semifinalists:
- Matt Barkley, Junior, QB, USC – Has passed for 2,782 yards and 29 touchdowns for the 8-2 Trojans.
- Justin Blackmon, Junior, WR, Oklahoma State – Has caught 93 passes on the season, 14 for touchdowns, for 1,142 yards for the 10-0 Cowboys.
- Morris Claiborne, Junior, DB, LSU – Has made 38 tackles and four interceptions for the top-ranked Tigers.
- LaMichael James, Junior, RB, Oregon – Nation’s top rusher at 150.9 yards per game; has rushed for 1,207 yards and 12 touchdowns for the 9-1 Ducks
- Robert Griffin III, Senior, QB, Baylor – Has passed for 3,093 yards and 29 touchdowns for 6-3 Bears. Has also rushed for five touchdowns.
- Chandler Harnish, Senior, QB, Northern Illinois – Has passed for 2,594 yards and 22 touchdowns and rushed for 1,203 yards and 10 scores for the 8-3 Huskies.
- Landry Jones, Junior, QB, Oklahoma – Has passed for 3,349 yards and 28 touchdowns for the 8-1 Sooners.
- Case Keenum, Senior, QB, Houston – Has passed for 3,951 yards and 37 touchdowns for the 11th-ranked Cougars (11-0).
- Luke Kuechly, Junior, LB, Boston College – Leads the nation with 168 total tackles (89 solo) for the Eagles. Also has made two interceptions.
- Andrew Luck, Senior, QB, Stanford – Has passed for 2,695 yards and 29 touchdowns for the 9-1 Cardinal; has completed 70.6 percent of his passes.
- Kellen Moore, Senior, QB, Boise State – Has completed 74.1 percent of his passes for 8-1 Broncos. Has passed for 2,549 yards and 31 touchdowns.
- Trent Richardson, Junior, RB, Alabama – Has rushed for 1,205 yards and 18