USC steps into the land of the undermanned, overmatched, option running FCS teams this Saturday when The Citadel comes to Williams-Brice Stadium. This will be the first meeting between the teams in 21 years.
Every Gamecock and Bulldog fan remembers what happened the last time they played. The Citadel, led by standout quarterback Jack Douglas, shocked the Gamecocks in Columbia 38-35 as Douglas scored on a one yard run with 22 seconds to play.
This will be the 50th meeting between the schools. USC leads the series 39-7-3. Once before has The Citadel defeated USC in consecutive games. That was in 1915 & 1916. USC head coach Steve Spurrier never has lost to an FCS opponent in 43 games including 17-0 at USC.
Key pre-game notes:
- USC is 8-2, 6-2 in the SEC; The Citadel is 4-6, 2-6 in the SOCON
- USC is trying to win at least 9 games in a season for the third time
- USC has 17 wins over the past two seasons equaling a school best
- USC has won 18 of its last 23 regular season games and 11 of the last 13
- The Citadel has blocked 9 punts this season, one shy of the FCS record
- The Citadel leads FCS in fewest penalty yards per game at 24.2
- The Citadel has rushed 548 times and passed 72 times this season
USC pre-game notes
Citadel pre-game notes