USC coach Steve Spurrier held his weekly news conference today to preview the 15th ranked Gamecocks upcoming matchup with Florida. Carolina is 7-2 and 5-2 in the SEC. A win Saturday will give them six wins in the conference for the first time in school history. It would also give them a perfect record against Eastern division opponents, also a first. The Gamecocks can clinch the East with a win over the Gators and a Georgia loss to Auburn or Kentucky.
Some other notes from Spurrier’s presser:
- Quarterback Connor Shaw will throw the ball some today and should return to practice tomorrow. He is recovering from a concussion, but it looks like he will play this weekend.
- Safety Devonte Holloman is also recovering from a concussion. He’s not as far along as Shaw and his return is still unknown.
- Spur safety Antonio Allen should be back this week after sitting out last weekend with a sprained neck.
- Florida snapped a four game losing streak last week with an 27-21 win over Vanderbilt in the Swamp.
- Florida leads the all-time series against USC 25-5-3. The Gators are 10-4-1 in Columbia. USC won last year’s game in Gainesville, 36-14.
- The last time USC won back-to-back games against Florida came after wins in 1936 and 1939.