It’s predictable. Every Clemson loss is greeted by some howling fans calling for Dabo Swinney’s head, or a least the firing of offensive coordinator Billy Napier. And every Tuesday following a Clemson loss Swinney goes on the defensive about himself, his coaches and his program preaching to anyone who will listen that the program is in good hands and things will be fine in the future.
Such was the case on this Tuesday as Swinney spent a good deal of the time pointing out how close this team is to being successful and how the future is bright. He also discussed this week’s opponent, Wake Forest.
Key pre-game notes:
- Clemson has 57 wins against Wake Forest, its most against any current ACC member.
- Clemson’s last trip to Wake resulted in a 12-7 loss and the firing of Tommy Bowden.
- Clemson coach Dabo Swinney will celebrate his 41st birthday on gameday.
- Clemson’s defense has allowed just one touchdown in each of the last five games.
- Wake Forest is last in the ACC in scoring defense and 11th in scoring offense.
- The Deacons are 11th in the ACC in total offense and 11th in total defense.