Did it snow in Hell in June when USC won the baseball national championship? If so, then pigs were flying Saturday night as the Gamecocks defeated Florida in Gainesville for the first time 36-14 to win their first SEC East title. The Gamecocks will play Auburn in the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta in three weeks.
This win was no accident for USC. Except for the opening kickoff, the Gamecocks dominated this game in every facet. Steve Spurrier made the decision to run the football, and he stuck with that gameplan. And defensively, Ellis Johnson and Lorenzo Ward drew up a perfect scheme to snuff out Florida’s running game.
The Gamecocks are now 7-3 and 5-3 and will play host to Troy next Saturday afternoon. The Gators fall to 6-4 and 4-4 and will take on Appalachian State at home next Saturday.
1st Quarter Recap:
- Talk about your bad starts….USC wins the toss, defers, kicks off, and trails 7-0 within fourteen seconds. That’s because Andre Debose took the kickoff back 99 yards for a touchdown….right up the middle of the field, untouched.
- USC does respond to that Florida lightening strike driving into Gator terretory and getting a 49 yard field goal from Spencer Lanning.
- USC keeps the momentum going driving 46 yards for a touchdown, a 7 yard run by Marcus Lattimore. Lanning hit the left upright on the extra point, so USC leads 9-7 with 2:36 left in the quarter.
- End of quarter…USC 9-Florida 7.
2nd Quarter Recap:
3rd Quarter Recap:
- USC starts the second half like it ended the first, with a score. The Gamecocks drive 72 yards in 9 plays with Lattimore taking it the final 21 yards. USC leads 22-7 with 10:05 left in the quarter. Lattimore sets the school single season freshman rushing record on the drive.
- End of quarter…USC 22-Florida 7.
4th Quarter Recap:
- The Gamecocks put the game on ice on an 8 yard touchdown run by Garcia. It was a short drive set up by Stephon Gilmore’s pass interception at the Florida 28. With 13:35 to play, USC leads 29-7.
- The Gators show life by driving 70 yards with Jordan Reed hitting Chris Rainey with a 26 yard TD pass. With 7:12 to play, USC leads 29-14.
- The Gamecocks seal the deal with Lattimore’s third touchdown of the night, this one one a run of 11 yards with 2:43 to play. USC 36-Florida 14.
Final score…USC 36-Florida 14