Since falling into an early season hole in the ACC’s Atlantic Division race, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney has taken a one game at a time approach viewing each Saturday as a season into itself. Well, as far as any hopes the Tigers have of winning the division for the second year in a row. Swinney said Tuesday at his weekly news conference Saturday’s game at Florida state is “the biggest game of the year.”
Clemson does not control its own destiny. The loss at Boston College took care of that. But if the Tigers can win their final two league games, at Florida State and at Wake Forest, and if NC State and Maryland suffer one more league loss each, the Tigers will be in Charlotte for the ACC title game in early December. And State and Maryland play each other the last Saturday of the season at College Park.
Key pre-game notes:
- Clemson injury report…RB Andre Ellington, out; DT Miguel Chavis, questionable; DE Kourtnei Brown, questionable; FS Carlton Lewis, could return; WR Jaron Brown, probable.
- FSU quarterback Christian Ponder has an elbow issue that makes him questionable for Saturday.
- FSU leads the series 16-7 but Clemson has won four of the last five.
- Clemson has 11 players from Florida including Tallahassee native DeAndre McDaniel.
- FSU starting DT Everett Dawkins is a Byrnes graduate.
- FSU starting RG Rhonne Sanderson is the brother of former USC OL Watts Sanderson.
- Clemson’s defense has allowed just one touchdown in each of the last four games.
- Clemson leads the ACC in scoring defense.
- Clemson’s Da’Quan Bowers leads the nation with 12.5 sacks.
- FSU leads the nation with 38 sacks.