Clemson’s first trip to Chapel Hill since 2002 was one to forget for the Tigers and their fans. The Tar Heels sent the Tigers to their third straight defeat with a 21-16 victory in front of 60,000 fans at Keenan Stadium.
The Tar Heels won despite being outgained by 50 yards. But the Tigers hurt themselves with a series of penalties on a fourth quarter scoring drive that gave North Carolina a working margin.
The Tigers fall to 2-3 overall, the same record they owned after five games last season when they recovered to win their division. They are 0-2 in the ACC. North Carolina has won three straight games and is 3-2 overall, 1-1 in the ACC.
Clemson returns home to face Maryland at Noon next Saturday. The Tar Heels will play at Virginia.
1st Quarter Recap:
- After Clemson went three and out on first series, North Carolina took over at the Tiger 48 and drove for a touchdown, a 3 yard run over the right tackle by Johnny White. The drive took 12 plays and 6:11. With 6:45 left in the 1st quarter, UNC 7-Clemson 0.
- End of 1st Quarter…UNC 7-Clemson 0
2nd Quarter Recap:
- After several exchanges of punts going back to the first quarter, Clemson gets on the board with a 48 yard field goal by Chandler Catanzaro, his longest of the season. UNC leads 7-3 with 6:19 left in the half.
- Late in the half, UNC takes over at its 20 after a Clemson punt and drives the length of the field for a touchdown, a 9 yard pass from TJ Yates to Jheranie Boyd. The Tar Heels were aided by a third down pass interference call on Coty Sensabaugh and a 51 yard Yates to White pass to the Clemson 20. UNC leads 14-3 with :54 left in the half.
- End of 2nd Quarter…UNC 14-Clemson 3
3rd Quarter Recap:
- The Tigers get the first points of the 2nd half on their second possession. DeAndre Hopkins takes a punt back 31 yards to set the Tigers up at the UNC 21. A holding penalty on an incomplete pass puts Clemson at the 10. Jamie Harper then takes in on a draw play for the touchdown. With 5:34 left in the quarter, UNC leads 14-10.
- UNC has 15 yards in the quarter, Clemson has 81.
- End of 3rd Quarter…UNC 14-Clemson 10
4th Quarter Recap:
- Tigers see a drive stall early in the quarter and Cantanzar is wide right on 42 yard field goal.
- White runs in from 26 yards out to cap at UNC drive of 14 plays, 76 yards and 7:57, the longest touchdown drive of the season for the Tar Heels. It’s White’s first two touchdown game of the season. The Tar Heels were aided by two crucial pass interference calls against Clemson. And the Da’Quan Bowers jumped offsides on a play he sacked the quarterback. The Tar Heels then converted on fourth down on the next play. With 6:53 to play, UNC leads 21-10.
- Clemson responds quickly with a 74 yard touchdown pass from Kyle Parker to Jaron Brown. The two point conversion failed. With 5:31 left, UNC leads 21-16.
- UNC starts its final possession at its own 23 and proceeds to use up all but :13 of the clock. White touches the ball on all 10 snaps, 9 runs and 1 screen. Clemson gets the ball back after a punt at its own 19, but three incomplete passes end the game.
- Final Score: UNC 20-Clemson 16