The USC basketball team released its non-conference schedule Tuesday morning. Most of these games have been leaking out over the course of the past several weeks, but now we have a full look at who the Gamecocks will see in their non-SEC slate. As you will see, Frank Martin wasn’t lying when he said he wanted a challenge.
“Once again we have put together a very challenging schedule,” Martin said. “A schedule to prepare us to find success and be prepared in the SEC. We start with very tough home games, followed by a great tournament in Charleston, and a road game at Marshall, which is one of the most difficult facilities and places to play at. We’re extremely excited about the challenges. Hopefully this schedule will harden our basketball team and prepare it for the unbelievable challenge of competing in the SEC.”
Here is the breakdown:
- The Gamecocks will open the season at home November 14th against North Florida. That game will be the first time the two teams have met on the hardwood.
- Four days later, on November 18, Baylor will come to Colonial Life Arena to return the game USC played in Waco early last season.
- Then it’s down to the Holy City for the Charleston Classic on November 20-23rd. Penn State, Southern Cal, Akron and Miami are a few of the teams in that field.
- After the tournament in Charleston, the Gamecocks are back home November 26th to face UNC Asheville.
- The Big South matchup with Asheville is followed by the first true road game of the season, a December 1st matchup at Marshall in Huntington, West Virginia. The Gamecocks beat Marshall in Columbia last year. Former CofC coach Tom Herrion was the coach of the Thundering Herd then, but he was fired after the season.
- After the trip to play the Thundering Herd, USC has a home game against Oklahoma State as part of the SEC/Big 12 Challenge on December 6th. The Cowboys ran away with the game when these two team played in Stillwater, Oklahoma a year ago.
- After a break for exams, USC and Clemson will meet in their annual rivalry game December 19th at Colonial Life Arena. Frank Martin is still looking for his first win against the Tigers.
- Two days after the Clemson game Coker will be in Columbia for a first ever meeting with the Gamecocks.
- The final home non-conference game is against North Carolina A &T on December 30th.
- USC wraps up it’s non-league slate with a trip to Brooklyn, New York for a neutral site game against Iowa State.