Clemson held its first full scrimmage of the spring Wednesday, the Tigers final workout before they take some time off for spring break. The scrimmage was closed to the public, but the school did release some details of what went down.
Among the highlights:
- The scrimmage went 99 plays, the same number of plays the Tigers ran in the national championship win over Alabama. Coincidence? Probably not.
- The did full contact (except the quarterbacks) and went through kickoffs and special during the scrimmage.
- Everyone wants to know how the quarterbacks looked. Kelly Bryant, the man to beat for Deshaun Watson’s old job, completed 7 of 13 passes for 91 yards. Freshman Zerrick Cooper completed four of his eight passes and scored on a 13-yard run. Swinney said they continue to evaluate all the quarterbacks every day.
- Hunter Renfro, a guy you might have heard of, led the receivers with four catches for 57 yards. Deon Cain had 33 yards receiving.
- Adam Choice led the running backs with 31 yards rushing but Tavien Feaster was right behind him with 30 yards.
- Nyles Pinckney had three sacks. He’s wearing #44 this season.
- Jalen Williams, Kendall Joseph, Mitch Hyatt, and Taylor Hearn did not scrimmage because of injuries but they are expected to be back on the field when the team reconvenes after spring break.
Check out what Dabo Swinney had to say below: