USC wide receiver Ace Sanders apparently had an 11th hour change of heart and decided to forgo his final season with the Gamecocks and enter the NFL draft. Tuesday was the deadline for underclassman to declare for the April draft. There was an onslaught of online speculation about a change in Sanders’ future plans until he confirmed his new choice late Tuesday night on his Twitter feed.
Enrique Martinez @AceSanders1
Day full of emotion for. Thank you everyone apart of #GamecockNation. I appreciate everything you did for me. #TearsOfJoy I love you guys!!!
Last week Sanders indicated he would be back for his final season with the Gamecocks. He hasn’t elaborated what led to his change of heart, but DraftCountDown.com draft expert Scott Wright told SportsTalk this afternoon he felt Sanders was a top 100 player in this year’s draft. Wright said it was unlikely that Sanders would move up much next year because his biggest obstacle is his size, something that won’t change next season. Wright said Sanders’s speed and elusiveness make him an attractive slot receiver and special team option.
Sanders returned two punts for touchdowns last season and was named the Outback Bowl MVP. After the bowl game in Tampa there were lots of rumblings that Sanders would turn pro until his Instagram post during the BCS Championship indicating he would return. Turns out those initial rumblings were correct.