Tuesday was the final day for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft. It also marks the 100 day point until the April draft. In that spirit we had NFL draft expert Scott Wright from DraftCountdown.com on SportsTalk First Edition to share his thoughts on the USC and Clemson players that will be in the upcoming draft as well as the guys like Jadeveon Clowney and Tajh Boyd that could be high on next year’s draft board.
We did an extended segment which you can listen to below, but here are a few of the highlights about a few of the players people have been tracking.
- DeAndre Hopkins-Wright said Hopkins made a good decision and is currently the number three receiver on his board. He said he could go anywhere from the late first to second round. He expects him to be a top 50 selection.
- Marcus Lattimore-Wright said Lattimore is an extreme wild card. Until teams get an up close look at both of his surgically repaired knees he is going to be viewed as damaged goods. He said there is a chance Lattimore could fall to the middle rounds or even undrafted.
- Andre Ellington- Wright is high on Ellington and has him ranked as the fourth best running back in the draft. He said he could go in the first 100 picks because of his speed and ability to catch the ball out of the back field.
- Ace Sanders-
Sanders opted to return for his senior seasonSanders opted to turn pro and Wright said he had him as a potential top 100 selection in the draft. He said chances are he will be around the same spot next year. His size holds him back but his speed and quickness make him a commodity.
- Tajh Boyd- Wright said Boyd made the right call to return for another season. He said if he can put together another solid season he easily could move into the first round next year. He said Boyd would have gone in the second to fourth round this year.
- DJ Swearinger- Wright said Swearinger makes up for his lack of size and speed with other intangibles that should land him on an NFL roster next season. He will probably be a mid to late round pick though.
- Dalton Freeman-Wright said Freeman will be a late round pick or a potential free agent signee, but has a solid shot to land on a roster.
- Jadeveon Clowney- Obviously Clowney isn’t available in this draft but Wright said he is probably the leader in the clubhouse to be the top pick in the 2014 draft.