Clemson coach Dabo Swinney, on his Sunday night conference call, said his team his healthy, focused and excited about this week’s game at home against USC. The Tigers have opened as four point favorites to end their three game losing streak against the Gamecocks.
Swinney said his team is healthy with the exception of cornerback Bashaud Breland who is dealing with a groin injury.
Other comments from Swinney Sunday night:
- Big thing is they responded from adversity and liked how team responded.
- Gave up no sacks to a team that was leading the league. Had some uncharacteristic drops. Still hasn’t played their best game.
- Big disappointment was State had four one play touchdowns.
- Kickoff coverage was really poor. Lot of mistakes but still improving. USC is an outstanding football team.
- Thought Brandon Ford had his best game of the year. Has improved with his physical play and his blocking.
- Brandon Thomas has put it together the last few weeks and has played outstanding football. Played lot of snaps with few mental errors.
- Offensive line has played well as a unit last three games and putting it together as a group.
- Same old South Carolina we’ve seen the last two or three years. Very talented group, right there with Florida State.
- Their defense is lights out. The quarterback really killed us last year. They’ve got some playmakers outside.
- Encouraged OL has performed well throughout the year. This is a tough matchup. Not going to go against a better group in the country.
- Relationship with Spurrier has always been cordial. Has a lot of respect for him. But focus needs to stay on the game.
AUDIO: Swinney updates team and previews USC [13:46]