Just in case he didn’t make it clear enough in his post game press conference yesterday, Steve Spurrier used his teleconference Sunday to reiterate his frustration at the USC fans who left around half time of Saturday’s 48-10 win over East Carolina. Spurrier said the fans in the East Stands and the students appeared to the main culprits .
“I hope we are not reverting back to the days when football wasn’t very important around here and the pregame party and the postgame party was more important than the game itself,” Spurrier said Sunday. ”I’m hoping our Gamecock fans will treat the game as the most important part of their Saturday football day. But it didn’t appear that way yesterday. Hopefully the people that leave will feel a lot of embarrassment. I know it’s a lot of students, but maybe the students need to feel embarrassed…”
Here are a few other notes from Spurrier’s call with reporters which you can listen to below.
- When asked if Dylan Thompson has earned the right to play more regardless of Shaw’s health Spurrier took a we’ll have to wait and see approach.
- Spurrier praised Thompson for how he played against ECU and said he showed he can lead the offense
- Spurrier said they made an effort to get the ball to more players on offense, like Shaq Roland and Bruce Ellington
- Spurrier said it is doubtful Connor Shaw does much in terms of practice until Wednesday. They will assess his playing status from there.
- Spurrier was not pleased with the punting Saturday. He also saidhe didn’t want to be forced to punt as much.
- Spurrier confirmed Jadeveon Clowney has a rib bruise. He said they will treat it and that “hopefully he will be okay” for the UAB game this weekend.
AUDIO: Steve Spurrier Sunday teleconference [12:42]