Coming off the win over Alabama, USC coach Steve Spurrier knows this Saturday’s game at Kentucky is your classic “trap” game. The Gamecock fans are still flying high over the ‘Bama win and may be thinking the Wildcats will be just a walk over. It’s Spurrier’s job to make sure his players are thinking along those same lines.
At his weekly news conference Tuesday made it clear that Kentucky is a dangerous team and no one around the Gamecock organization can afford to take the Wildcats lightly.
Key pre-game notes:
- Steve Spurrier is 17-0 in his career against Kentucky.
- USC leads the series 14-6-1 and has won 10 in a row.
- USC’s #10 AP ranking is the Gamecocks’ highest since 10-20-07.
- Alshon Jeffery leads the SEC and is 3rd nationally in receiving yards per game.
- Stephen Garcia leads the SEC with a 72.3% completion percentage.
- Kentucky’s last win in the series was 1999.
- Kentucky head coach Joker Phillips served on Lou Holtz’s staff at USC.
- Former USC RB Jonathan Martin is a GA for video with the Kentucky program.